Welcome from the Science Fair Committee!
South Colby loves science, and we are celebrating with a Science Fair! Join in the fun as we share our learning in scientific investigations. Our South Colby Science Fair will be Monday, April 22, 2013. Evening viewing will be from 6:00-7:30 p.m.
Our goal in conducting the South Colby Science Fair is to engage kids in the joy of science, as well as develop the understanding of the scientific method. Please have your child follow the Scientific Investigations Format provided for you, taking into account your child’s age and grade level.
Every South Colby student K-6 is encouraged to enter the South Colby Science Fair. You will find a list of websites on the back of the letter sent home that may help you and your child choose a science project. Children may enter a project individually, in pairs, or groups. Individual teachers may have specific requirements.
General Rules for 2013 South Colby Science Fair:
- Parents should ”guide,” rather than direct, their child in organizing and completing their project.
- Each child’s project should be accompanied by a neatly written explanation, following the Scientific Investigations format. (The planner is a guide for planning the steps of the project, but it is not sufficient as a final written explanation.) Any handwriting or typing should be done by the child if the child is capable of completing the task.
- Each project must be free standing for display on a desk, no larger than 36” x 48”
- Each child’s name should be displayed on the project clearly.
- Each child should decide ahead of time whether his/her project will be displayed as a project to be looked at only, or if it can be interactive allowing other students to touch or try the experiment.
- Each child’s project should also cause no harm to living things or the environment.
The official entry form for the 2013 South Colby Science Fair will be / has been sent home. Please return it by April 9, 2013 if your child is going to participate.
If you have questions about any part of this format, please feel free to contact your child’s teacher. Important Dates...
Information comes home in Friday folders
Project due by lunchtime
Set up will begin
Science Fair - 6:00 - 7:30 p.m.
Classroom viewing in the morning
Projects taken home